Reports – Management plans – Articles and newsletters – Educational texts – Technical reports – Annual reports – Web pages – Conservation plans
Do you create or publish content for a public audience? Professional assistance can improve the quality of your product – and make you look better!
As a freelance editor and writer, I can help you produce concise, fresh and accurate content for a public audience. I specialise in the areas of science, health and the environment, for both print and online.
If you write or produce content, you want people to read and understand it. You may want to build a relationship with your audience or persuade people to take action; you may want to educate or inspire. You are more likely to achieve your goals with content that is:
- clearly expressed – conveying your message in a cohesive and logical story
- engaging and suited to your audience – using appropriate language and avoiding jargon and bureaucratic or technical terms
- well written – making reading enjoyable and easy
- professionally presented – following current standards (such as the Australian Style Manual and/or your house style) for spelling, punctuation, numbers, abbreviations, scientific terms, referencing and use of capitals, italics and hyphens
- polished – making the reading experience seamless without irritating errors and typos or poor formatting.
Even a well-written text can usually be significantly improved by a professional editor who assesses the document as a whole, examines each sentence in detail, and applies relevant styles and standards. Many of the finicky details I consider as an editor are invisible to most readers (and writers), but they tidy up the text or document to a professional standard that you can share with confidence.
In editing and writing terms, my document-wrangling services include:
- structural (also called developmental or substantive) editing, copyediting and proofreading
- researching and writing
- converting jargon and long sentences into plain English
- combining multiple authors and managing complex reports
- overseeing images and references.
I work on:
- reports of all sorts, including annual reports
- policy documents
- management plans
- textbooks and other educational resources
- web content
Science, health and the environment
I specialise in the areas of science, health and the environment – particularly on material aimed at a public audience. I’m a big fan of plain English, and will happily edit technical or bureaucratic text to make it much clearer to understand and more enjoyable to read.
Most of my clients are government bodies or organisations in science, education or publishing. I also work for a number of other science communication agencies and individuals.
See more about me.