A compilation of my bigger editing projects.
Reports and publications
I’ve copyedited and proofread many reports and publications for government agencies and other organisations.
- Numerous magazine-style publications and fact sheets for clients including Monash University, Grain Research and Development Corporation, Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, Fire Protection Association Australia, Australian Counselling Association, University of Portsmouth, UK 2018–ongoing via Coretext (proofread)
- FISH magazine for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation via Coretext (copyedit)
- Mungbean production guide: Cambodia for the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, with Coretext (copyedit, write alt text, proofread)
- National Performance Reports on urban water utilities 2019–20, 2018–19 and 2017–18 for the Bureau of Meteorology (copyedit, write alt text, proofread)
- River Red Gum Conservation Action Plan 2019 for Parks Victoria (copyedit)
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2019 for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, via Science in Public (substantive edit)
- Mid North Coast regional social profile 2019 for Mid Coast Communities, NSW (substantive edit, copyedit and writing)
- Profiles of Australian fish stocks for the web and an app for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation 2019, via Coretext (copyedit)
- Technical reports for FrontierSI 2018, via Coretext (copyedit)
- Consultation Draft Flood Warning Infrastructure Standard (pdf) 2018 for the Bureau of Meteorology (copyedit)
- Water in Australia 2017–8, 2016–17 and 2015–16 for the Bureau of Meteorology (copyedit and proofread)
- Guide to Life Sciences Investing (pdf) 2018 for AusBiotech, via Science in Public (structural edit and copyedit)
- Osteoporotic refracture prevention model of care, second edition (pdf) 2017 for the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI), via Ragg & Co (copyedit)
- ACI initiatives August 2017 (pdf) for the ACI, via Ragg & Co (substantive edit)
- ACI initiatives February 2017 (pdf) for the ACI, via Ragg & Co (substantive edit)
- Enhanced management of orthopaedic surgery: a case study in innovation, Clinical Innovation Program (pdf) 2017 for the ACI, via Ragg & Co (copyedit)
- Home oxygen discharge: a case study in innovation, Clinical Innovation Program, (pdf) 2016 for the ACI, via Ragg & Co (copyedit)
- Global Status of Carbon Capture and Storage 2016 for the Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute (copyedit and proofread)
- Draft River Red Gum Management Plan 2017 for Parks Victoria (proofread)
- The same four walls: Inquiry into the use of isolation, separation and lockdowns in the Victorian youth justice system 2017 for the Commission for Children and Young People (proofread)
- National Marine Science Plan 2015–2025 for the Australian Institute of Marine Science, via Science in Public (copyedit and proofread)
- ACI Year in review 2015–2016 for the ACI, via Ragg & Co (copyedit)
I’ve edited and helped compile annual reports for many departments and organisations.
- FLEET (the ARC Centre of Excellence in Future Low-Energy Electronics Technologies) 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Bureau of Meteorology (sections of) 2016–17, 2017–18
- WIRADA (Water Information Research and Development Alliance) 2016–17
- Australian Institute of Marine Science 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, via Science in Public
- EMBL (European Molecular Biology Laboratory) Australia 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, via Science in Public
- Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute 2012, 2013, via Science in Public
- RIKEN, Japan 2013–14, via Science in Public
- Centenary Institute 2011, via Science in Public
Educational texts and resources
I’ve edited educational textbooks and teacher resources.
- Year 11 and Year 12 Environmental Science textbooks for Victoria (in 2021) for Environment Education Victoria (copyedit and proofread)
- Year 9 Science textbook for Queensland, Cambridge University Press (in 2020) (copyedit)
- Year 10 Science textbook for Victoria, Cambridge University Press (in 2019) (copyedit). This series was an Educational Publishing Awards Australia: Winner – Secondary junior student resource – Mathematics/Science in 2020
- Senior Biology Year 11 and 12 texts for NSW for Macmillan Education (in 2017) (structural edit)
- Biology teachers resource material for Macmillan Education (in 2017) (copyedit)
- Primary school science work booklets and teacher resource books for The Education Consultancy (2017) (copyedit)
- VCE Environmental Science textbooks for VCE Units 3 and 4 (in 2016) VCE Units 1 and 2 (in 2015) for Environment Education Victoria (copyedit, proofread)
Science and research communication
I’ve copyedited and proofread many publications that bring science and research to the public and industry.
- FISH September 2021, April 2021 (copyedit); December 2020, September 2020 (supplement), June 2019, March 2018 for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, via Coretext (proofread)
- A 2020 working paper for health research initiative Generation Victoria (Gen V) (copyedit)
- Many publications for Grains Research and Development Corporation, via Coretext (proofread) including:
- National Variety Trials harvest reports for Central South Australia, Southern Region; Eyre Peninsula, Southern Region; Southern New South Wales, Northern Region and Geraldton, Western Region, April 2021 (proofread)
- Golden rules for canola in the low-rainfall zone Western Region February 2021
- Managing small conical snails fact sheet Western region January 2021
- Groundcover (magazine) November–December 2020, supplement July–August 2020, supplement May–June 2018
- Maximising sowing opportunities under dry soil conditions in the high-rainfall zone Southern region November 2020
- 2020 hybrid sorghum performance report Northern region September 2020
- Integrated weed management of feathertop Rhodes grass National 2nd edition 2020 Update
- A nitrogen reference manual for the southern cropping region Southern region February 2020
- Chaff piles and chaff lines fact sheet January 2020
- UTE weeds guide
- 2020 Queensland winter crop sowing guide
- 2021 South Australian crop sowing guide October 2020
- Pulse width modulation – nozzle selection guide
- 2019 Variety sowing guide
- Publications for Grains Research and Development Corporation, via Coretext (copyedit) including:
- Wild radish fact sheet National August 2020
- Identifying Western Australian summer weeds manual
- Fire Australia magazine issue four 2018, issue one 2019, for Fire Protection Association Australia, via Coretext (proofread)
- Stories of Australian Science, for Science in Public (copyedited 2015 edition; coordinated, copyedited and proofread 2010–14 editions)
- Stories of Australian Astronomy 2012, for Science in Public (coordinated, copyedited and proofread)
I copyedited Eingana, the journal of Environment Education Victoria.
2015 to 2021
Two or three issues a year, some print, some digital.
Cultural and archaeological heritage reports
I have copyedited and proofread archaeological assessments and cultural heritage management plans.
In 2020, I copyedited and proofread reports for Extent Heritage, including conservation management plans and historical archaeological assessments, that assess the archaeological and cultural values of sites.
in 2016, I copyedited a number of cultural heritage management plans for Urban Colours Arts. The plans assess Indigenous heritage values on sites where developments are planned and are submitted to Aboriginal Victoria.
I have produced regular newsletters for two different organisations.
I edited the Editors Victoria newsletter from November 2014 to April 2019. This involved compiling and producing content, copyediting, posting online on the website and the online email service. Cass Ball kindly helped out each month with eagle-eyed proofreading.
And lots more …
Other jobs and activities include:
- In-house training in editing for plain English
- Editing/proofreading a couple of short articles and an infographic for STEM Matters
- Talking to postgrad students as part of a panel on science career paths outside academia for the RMIT node of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale BioPhotonics (CNBP)
- Copyediting a grant proposal from Finland for English
- Proofreading documents on food processing in Indonesia and the Morwell mine fire, via Science in Public
- Collating submissions on draft guidelines for the Australian & New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion, via Cadman Editing
- Copyediting documents on malaria, TB and influenza for the World Health Organization, via Cadman Editing
- Copyediting an ebook on Julius Caesar for La Trobe Uni
- Copyediting text for apps being developed by Glasshouse Creative Media
- Drafting university promotion nominations and prize-winner CVs
- Copyediting fact sheets for the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator via Science in Public
Want to work with me?